Packing for your first trip with a little one can be daunting. We took a week and a half long trip to California with Marlow when she was two months old to get out of the Arizona heat, and I’m pretty sure I was making lists before she was even born then started packing about two weeks before we went. I was so scared I was going to forget something important. But, no need to stress! I realized if I forgot something, we could just pick it up while we were out on our trip. California happens to have CVS and Target… so, there really wasn’t any reason for me to panic. I think we picked up a Dishwasher Basket some Honest Diapers and Wipes and some Baby Wash while we were on our trip, but I had everything else.
So, what do you actually need while traveling with a newborn? Of course, it depends on where you’re going and what the weather will be like, but I came up with a basic list to follow whenever we go on a trip and I thought I’d share it with you. We take a lot of road trips back and forth to San Diego and Laguna Beach. I went to college in San Diego and Matt grew up in Laguna Beach where his family still lives. We’re pretty lucky to have such incredible places to visit whenever we want, and thankfully it’s only about a 6 hour drive either place. This weekend we are planning on going to Laguna Beach for a baby shower and to stay with Matt’s family. Marlow is getting a little cousin in December! So, I’m looking forward to the shower and we’ll also be taking a ton of hand-me-downs for Marlow’s little girl cousin that she has outgrown.
So, back to what I’m packing for the little. Babies come with a lot of crap. We usually take our dog with us when we drive places too, so our car is typically packed at all times. These are the true essentials that we need, plus a few extras that I find helpful. Feel free to print this list and come back to this post whenever you take a trip to print another one. When you’re a new mom, anything to help you remember everything and keep things straight is a huge help!
In the Suitcase:
- Wash Cloths
- Hooded Towel
- Baby Wash – This Burts Bees Baby Bee Gift Set is perfect for traveling.
- Baby Lotion
- Diapers – Check out this Free Trial for Diapers and Wipes.
- Diaper Rash Ointment – Honest Co. has the most incredible healing ointment that works great for diaper rash and eczema.
- Children’s Tylenol
- Sunscreen (for babies over 6 months old.)
- Insect Repellant
- Grooming Kit – I have this one, and it’s perfect. It includes:
- Nail Clippers
- Nose Aspirator Bulb
In the Diaper Bag:
- Diapers – 1 per hour traveling
- Changing Pad
- Burp Cloth
- Formula or Nursing Cover
- Bottled Water
- Thermos of Hot Water to warm bottles.
- Extra Pacifier
- Pacifier Wipes
- Dirty Diaper Disposable Bags
- Wet/Dry Bag or Ziploc Bag
- Toy/Rattle – I SWEAR by this Baby Paper. Babies LOVE it, and it’s only $5!
- Antibacterial Hand Spray
- Extra Outfit
- Bouncy Seat/Swing – It’s nice to have somewhere to put baby other than laying them down
- Play Gym
- Car Seat
- Backseat Mirror
- Pack’n’Play & Sheet
- Sun Shade
- Light Snacks for Mom & Dad
- Night Light
- Bottle Warmer/Travel Bottle Warmer
- Sound Machine
- Travel Packet of Dreft
*Note: Affiliate links were used throughout this post. I only share items that I genuinely have used or recommend.